6 Reasons For Podcasting or Video Blogging
There are actually many reasons why one might want to podcast or to produce a video blog. The reasons are as varied as the people who do it. Some people just want to be heard. Some people want to increase business. Some people just want to draw attention to issues that they care passionately about.
Before you start podcasting or video blogging, it is important to have a good sense as to why you want or need to do it. This reason will have a great influence on the format of your podcast or video blog, as well as on the content that you cover in each type of media.
Here are 6 powerful reasons for podcasting or video blogging:
1. You have a voice – and podcasting and video blogging gives you a platform. There was a time that only media personalities had a voice. The Internet changed this, and although we all had a voice, we weren’t able to use it, because developing a platform was too hard and too technical. That is no longer the case.
2. Podcasting and Video blogging makes you human to others. It is so easy to forget that the person on the other side of the computer screen is in fact a human being. But with the sound of your voice, and/or moving images of you, nobody can doubt that you are flesh and blood.
3. To earn money. If your podcast is good enough, and becomes popular enough, you can earn money either through subscriptions to your podcast, or by selling ad space in your podcast. Money can also be earned by recommending products. Not only that, utilizing podcast transcription service you could repurpose your podcasts into ebook and premium contents like paid email newsletters and paid membership site contents or ecourses.
4. To raise awareness. We all have topics and issues that are important to us. You can use podcasting and video blogging to bring your message to more people, in a more effective way.
5. To teach others. Once, learning was only available in a classroom setting. Education by mail came along and gave us more options. The Internet was invented, and courses were available via email or website, which pretty much gave us unlimited choices. Now, courses are available via podcast and video blog, which still gives us even more choices. Those who had trouble learning just from what they read can now hear and see the course material as well.
6. A podcast or video blog can be a great complement to other forms of media that you are using for your promotions. It is another promotional outlet, regardless of what you are trying to promote.
There are other reasons for podcasting, but even if you can’t think of a reason that suits you, let’s look at the reasons why people actually listen to podcasts and watch video blogs:
• They are busy. They can download podcasts onto their mp3 players and make constructive use of their time when walking, working out at the gym, and waiting in line, driving, etc.
• They like advanced selection. Instead of just listening to a radio station that caters to their particular taste, and being subjected to whatever programming that station throws at them, they can make their own programming choices.
• Some people don’t like to read. Some have a hard time understanding what they read. They want to see and they want to listen, and podcasting and video blogs are an answer to those desires.
• There is a wider selection of entertainment when it comes to podcasts and video blogs. Right now, in terms of watching television and movies, we are limited by what the powers that be in Hollywood or the networks think that we want to see. With podcasts and video blogs, because there is so much diversity in the world, and because anyone is able to blog or podcast, those limitations are removed.
• Like television, people come to enjoy listening to certain podcasts or viewing certain video blogs. They ‘tune in’ week after week for the new content, and they are part of a community that is being built. Those who don’t like your broadcast simply unsubscribe.
• You can listen to podcasts even without an MP3 player, or ipod. They are also accessible via the World Wide Web. Alternately, video blogging can be done in a style that makes it accessible via a video enabled MP3 player, but then it isn’t called a video blog, it is called a vodcast. The point is that the technology is available through a couple of different media devices, instead of just one.
As you can see, there are really numerous reasons as to why one would want to podcast or video blog, as well as reasons why people want to listen to podcasts or watch video blogs.
The bigger question may be ‘why would you not want to podcast or video blog in today’s technologically advanced world?’
- 5 Reasons to Have Your Video Blogs and Podcasts Transcribed
- Being a Podcast Transcriptionist and Lovin’ it
- 3 Reasons to Create Transcripts of Your Video/Audio Contents
- Secret to Skyrocket Online Income for Video Bloggers
- Captioning a video, or offering a transcription of a video or podcast, should be a priority for your organization